Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Help



My friend Megan has started a book club and invited me to join. I've never considered myself as much of a reader, but apparently I LOVE it! This was the first book we read. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This book was amazing! I loved every moment of it and had a hard time putting it down (ask Jake!). I read it in less than a week (which is super fast for me- especially when I was working 2 of the days in the week). The characters became my friends and I loved being brought into their world. The author did an amazing job of giving each of the characters a distinctive voice. The story takes place in the 1960's in Jackson Mississippi and is told from the perspective of 3 different ladies: Miss Skeeter, a young Ole Miss graduate who is pursuing a career in journalism; Aibileen, a black maid who is raising her 17th white child; and Minny, a plump black maid that has a lot of spice and a mouth that has gotten her fired from numerous jobs. These 3 ladies "will come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed." If you are looking for a good book to read, go get it... now! Good luck finding it in the library though. Last I checked there were currently 109 holds on the book at the Mesa libraries. Let me know if any of you have read it or decide to read it. You will love it!

10 comments:

Becca Bingham said...

Our ward has a book club and this is the next one. I've been wanting to read it. I just need to go get it now!

Peggy Merrell said...

Wow, Megs! I didn't know you had gone and joined a book club-ha! Sounds fun. I loved your description of the 3 friends in the book. Now I want to read it! Can't wait. Hope you're havin a good day!

Kenna said...

Thanks, I'm always looking for a good book to read!

The Bowles said...

umm...do you know anyone with a copy? i'd love to have a book to read while i'm in europe. brad prob won't like that i take a book though;)

thanks for a fun play date today. I just love the park and being outside. so apparently jake things we talk about strange/weird things at play dates....LOL

Kris and Megan said...

alright, another plug for the help!!! awesome book- best quote to describe how i felt at the end... "you know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you've lost a friend." fantastic read, i wanted more and more!!!

Bekah Parker said...

Oh I always love suggestions for books. Thank you thank you! I will have to find it on Amazon or something for super cheap.

Jen said...

Thanks Megan for the suggestion. I LOVE a good book!

Mallory said...

Will definitely be adding this to my reading list. Thanks Meg!

Unknown said...

I would LOVE to do Blake's senior shots! $75 for the sitting fee, and $50 for the disc with fotos. Families are a bit more depending, but I would love to do any and all families too! Have them call or email me: meg.moffat@gmail.com.

salena said...

i love books that you cant put down, thanks for the suggestion.