Friday, October 16, 2009

Pumpkin Crumb Cake



I made the most delicious pumpkin crumb cake the other night. It is a yummy layered cake that is so simple to make. My sister Cindy called me the next day and said, "Oh my gosh. I have to give you this recipe for an awesome pumpkin crumb cake I made last night." What? You made pumpkin crumb cake too? After talking about it we realized it was the exact same recipe! Neither one of us had ever heard of or made the cake before (other than my old roommate Katie's pumpkin crunch- it's kind of similar) and we were just baffled about how we both randomly stumbled onto the recipe. Yes, we're sisters. Well, the recipe was so good I thought I'd share it with you. I found it on allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
* 1 egg, beaten
* 1/2 cup butter, melted
* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 3 tablespoons butter, softened
* 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)


DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or grease one 9x13 inch pan.
2. Reserve 1 cup cake mix. In a large bowl, combine the remaining dry cake mix with 1 egg and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well, and then pat into prepared pan.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over crust.
4. In a small bowl, combine reserved 1 cup cake mix, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons softened butter. Crumble over pumpkin filling. Sprinkle nuts evenly over the top, if desired.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

7 comments:

Kenna said...

Oh man I have that same recipe! It's SO good! Thanks for reminding me about it...I'm going to go make it right now!!!!

Nikki said...

Can not wait to try it! I love anything pumpkin! Enjoy moms pumpkin roll. It is what sealed the deal for me to marry into the family!!! =o)

Joe and Katie said...

Oh man, I could go for some of that right now!

Cindy Spratling said...

Yes, strange, but true. And delicious! K, I NEED to see you soon. Those pictures of Tyler made me all giddy inside and now I need to see him. So glad he's feeling better!

Josh and Kelly said...

Yum!! Thank you, I love pumpkin!

Becca said...

oh baby I'm making THAT!
Thanks Megan

Unknown said...

I went to email you back after your last comment on my blog, but I guess I don't have your email, I need to get that: jabeck85@gmail.com

but here is what I wanted to say, it is really easy to appear like super mom on a blog. You only post the good stuff:) I'm just as crazy as everyone else! But thank you for the compliment, it made me feel good. Miss you! Seriously, one of these days I'll fly down to AZ to have a great visit.
Love,
Julie