Sunday, May 1, 2011

Bennett Dean Richardson



Our little guy arrived Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm. We are so excited to have him with us and love his sweet puppy whimpers and big man burps. Here are his stats:
Name: Bennett Dean Richardson
DOB: 4-27-2011; 2:10 pm
Weight: 9 lbs 3 oz
Length: 20 inches
Head: 14 3/4 inches
Mode of deliver: Cesarean Section
Hospital: Banner Gateway
Delivering Dr.: Russell Beck

Now for a quick recap of the special day. Feel free to skip over the mundane details and on to the darling pictures of our sweet Benny boy, this is just for my own record.

My water "trickled" a little around midnight, but after no contractions and no further signs of labor I chalked it up as an embarrassing bed wetting experience at age 25. Well, around 1:15 am my water really broke- Niagra style- and contractions followed shortly after. I was pretty encouraged because I didn't feel any contractions with Tyler after my water broke, so I figured things must be progressing along and perhaps the c-section could be avoided. I got ready, Jake finished packing our bag, and contractions were coming in pretty strong at 3 minutes apart for 45-60 seconds long. We dropped Tyler off at my angel sister Cindy's house around 2:30, and only had to run one red light in the 2 mile trip :) Then we headed to the hospital, checked in, and got set up in triage. They checked me and said I was pretty thinned out, but only at a 3 and narrowed to a 1 (whatever that means!). Checking in!

My nurse came in and much to my surprise it was Toni Ebert, a lady that I know quite well who lived down the street from me and was in my same ward growing up. What a coincidence. She was really funny and took great care of me. She kept saying, "Well, sorry but I'm going to have to get to know you a little bit better here" before she would check me. Anyone who has had a baby knows that all modesty and care for who sees you goes out the window, so it didn't bother me at all. Anyways,contractions continued to intensify and came every 3 minutes, like clock work. I was given some medication to help take the edge off, but it unfortunately slowed down my contractions. When Dr. Beck came in to check me around 7:30 or so I was only at a 2 and the baby was still really high so they got me on Pitocin. The contractions kicked back in and after awhile I went ahead and got my epidural. Oh those blessed epidurals, you were heaven sent! I don't remember what time it was when I got my epidural, but I remember feeling pretty proud of myself for going as long as I did without one.

Dr. Beck came in to check me again around 1:30. After all that time of strong, consistent contractions I hadn't progressed past a 3! Dr. Beck took sometime to talk with me about options and his concerns. He expressed that he knew it was really important to me to do a trial of labor and try for a vbac, which is why he wanted to let me try. He felt that even if we were able to get the baby's head to engage in the birth canal, there was a high risk for something called shoulder dystocia. Basically there was a risk of Bennett's shoulders getting stuck (because he was so big and I'm apparently narrow "there"), which could result in nerve damage and even brain damage. Dr. Beck was very sensitive and said that we could try a bit longer to labor, but after his 10,000+ deliveries he kind of knew what to expect and felt there was about a 1% chance that I would have a successful vaginal birth. It didn't take long for Jake and I to decide that a c-section would be the best for our little guy. Dr. Beck and the nurses immediately kicked it into high gear and within about 10 minutes I was on the operating table. I was so relieved when Jake came in to sit next to me so he could hold my hand. He wanted to stand up and watch all the action, but I wouldn't let him let go of my hand (plus the thought of him seeing them cut me open was making me nauseous, and I really didn't want to be vomiting while my belly was cut open, although I came quite close... that would have made things exciting). 10 minutes later Bennett Dean Richardson was born. When Dr, Beck pulled his head out he and all the nurses were like, "Whoah, that's one big head!" The nurses began placing bets on how much they thought he was going to weigh. Dr. Beck commented, "This guy wasn't even trying to come out!" His head was perfectly round and nowhere near descending into the birth canal. Stubborn little guy! The anesthesiologist was super supportive the whole time and talked with me and told me what was happening. As they pulled him out she said, "Wow. He's all covered in jewelry! That cord is wrapped all around him!" My kids must be pretty active in the womb, because Ty also had the cord wrapped around his neck... twice. Anyways, as they brought Bennett around the curtain I couldn't help but get teary eyed. I was so relieved, excited, and thankful that our baby boy was here and healthy. The nurses cleaned Bennett up a bit, measured and weighed him, and then sent him over with Jake to recovery while they stitched me up. It's amazing how you can feel like you're in heaven as your belly is sliced open and getting sewn and super glued (yes, really) back together, but I really was floating on cloud 9. My baby was here! When they were all finished with me, Dr. Beck (aka the man that shows no emotion), patted my arm and congratulated me on my special baby and bent down to give me a hug. Oh how I love that man for helping to bring my children into the world!



Dr. Beck with Bennett just before we left to go home

We stayed in recovery for about an hour and a half and ooed and awed over every perfect little detail of our baby boy. He looked a lot like Tyler did when he was born, so we immediately knew he was going to be handsome :) Yes! Daddy's genes were victorious again! Once I was hooked back up to all the right monitors and whatnot they let me feed my little guy. I was shocked at how quickly he latched on. Breastfeeding was already 10 times easier than with Tyler, probably because I wasn't so freaked out about it as I was with Ty.



Things seem to be a blur after that. That or I'm just tired of typing and want to go hold my little guy. We had lots of visitors that immediately fell in love with our new baby, especially his big brother. I was quite surprised at how much Tyler understood- he knew that this was his brother, that he wasn't going to be in my tummy anymore, and that he would be coming home with us. We have yet to have a major issue between Tyler and Bennett (but I'm sure we'll have many coming our way). Tyler just loves on him and gives him kisses when he cries and says, "Oh, it's okay baby brother. Be happy." He is so willing to help out and seems to understand pretty well that I can't pick him up. He'll kiss my tummy and say, "Is your owies all better?" He also tells us all the time that baby brother has an owie on his belly button and that when mommy feeds him it makes it better. I love how simple things are to a two-year-old.Aunt Cindy

Aunt Alison
Uncle Jason
Raylene
Aunt Lisa and JoLynn
Grandma Merrell
Grandpa Merrell
Grandma & Grandpa Richardson
Big Brother Tyler
Daddy & Ty


We are all doing well now and are adjusting to our new sleeping schedule and life as a family of 4. I'm keeping the Percocet and Ibuprofen nearby, and that helps keep us all in high spirits. :) Welcome to the world Bennett. We love you!

17 comments:

salena said...

congrats again! i totally relate to all of this cause i was just there! my favorite part was when i was just laying there while they were sewing me up-or glueing me together-i should say:) cause i was so excited he was finally here-also they gave me something that made me feel really sleepy and happy. i'm amazed you held out so long and you're awesome for going through all that labor..again!
bennett really is so adorable & looks alot like his cute older brother! you will love watching them interact (most of the time:) it's the best!!

Lindsee said...

He's so handsome! Congratulations! Wish I was closer and could bring you dinner or something.

Funny side note: I thought the picture of dr beck was your dad and I was all, "Wow, Megan's dad looks alot like Dr. Beck"...wow, maybe because it IS dr beck...not your dad. I must be tired.

linds said...

Bennett is SOOOOOOO handsome and such a cutie! Congrats to you all! I'm glad he's here and that Tyler loves him.

Amie Orton said...

OH so happy for you. I'm offended Cindy didn't call and tell me. Just kiddin. What a big ol guy to come out of little you. love those big boys! So happy everything went smoothly and all are healthy!

Amie

Cindy Spratling said...

Sniff sniff. That was beautiful Megs. I love reading people's birth stories. And even though I already knew everything that happened with yours, it was still just touching to read (I sound like Mom). Anyway- I can't wait to hold Bennett again. He is so lovable. See you soon.

Becca Bingham said...

Yeah! Looks like you had lots of visitors!!

Salsa Mama said...

Congratulations!! He is beautiful! You all look great. What a happy family!

Nick and Sarah Leonard said...

I love his name. I'm sorry you didn't get the VBAC you were wishing for. He's adorable!

Kris and Megan said...

wonderful pics!! what a handsome little richardson boy again :) you, me and raylene grow big baby boys! :) congrats, i can't wait to come visit you. when does your ward quit bringing meals? i will give you a call and see when i can bring one to you. can't wait to meet bennett!

Duane and Mary said...

I was hoping there would be pictures...as I'm bawling like a Murdock/Barton!!! What a wonderful blessing it is to be a mother/aunt and watch your children have joy in their journey. You have a beautiful little family and it is because of what wonderful people you and Jake are. Congratulions and lots of love, Aunt Mary

Kris and Megan said...

ok I finally got to read the birth story this time. Wow, way to go with trying so hard to have a regular birth. I guess it just wasn't meant to be! He really is such a handsome little guy, isn't it funny how our hubby's genes are so strong?! maybe if we have girls we will see more of ourselves :)

Macey said...

What a story! So glad he is here. What a cutie.

Kamilla said...

You are so brave!! I don't think I would do so well in a c-section. I am so glad it all went well. Thats so CUTE that your doctor gave you a hug. How fun for Ty, Lincoln loves his brother too, it just makes it that much more fun. I love his chub, fat babies are the best!

Unknown said...

he's beautiful! congrats, meg! i am so glad eveything worked out- what a sweet story. looks like lots of hard for such a cute little thing. :) i admire you for going through it all, and yes, if he is anything like his little brother {looks like he is} he is going to be a looker! love you. now go get some sleep. :)

Stacy said...

Oh congratulations Megan! I didn't even know you were pregnant! I'm so glad things went well for you and that Bennett is here healthy and happy! I love his name. I hope everything goes well for you with your two little guys!

The Bowles said...

megan, i think Heavenly Father knew you could handle giving birth via c-section because you are amazing! i don't think i would do nearly as well as you...just the thought of being cut open freaks me out. little benny boy is so dang cute and i can't wait to see him again. i'm sure he's changed so much already. dr. beck is the man...something about helping to get our kids here puts that man in a special place in my heart....LOVE him and so glad I'll be in Mesa so he can deliver the next three or four kids!

Bekah Parker said...

He really is such a doll! So happy for you guys and it was fun to see you all last week and meet him.

PS...Is it wrong to say your doctor is handsome for an older man??