Oh my heavens! I made the yummiest skillet baked ziti the other night using a recipe from Please Hold the Onions, a blog where my friend and her sisters post good recipes and menu ideas. You HAVE to try it. That is, unless you've made a New Year's Resolution to eat really healthy (notice the cup of heavy cream in the recipe!). It was so rich and yummy and saucy and delicious, but I will probably have to make sure I don't make it too much, for the sake of my ever growing waistline. Anyways, here's the recipe for ya. And if you haven't checked out the previously mentioned blog, you should- lots of great menu ideas. Enjoy!
Skillet Baked Ziti
1 T. olive oil
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3 cups water
12 ounces ziti- 3 3/4 cups (I used penne)
1/2 cup heavy cream
*2 cooked, diced chicken breasts* optional
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh basil
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Heat Oven: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Simmer Ziti: Combine oil and red pepper flakes in 12 inch ovensafe nonstick skillet and saute over medium high heat about 30 seconds. Add spaghetti sauce, water, and ziti. Cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting heat as needed to maintain vigorous simmer, until ziti is almost tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
3. Add Cheese and Bake: Stir in cream, parmesan, basil, and chicken (if you want- I made it with chicken and loved it!). Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over ziti. Transfer skillet to oven (or if your skillet isn't ovenproof, transfer to a baking dish) and bake until cheese has melted and browned, about 10 minutes.
8 comments:
That sounds super yummy! I can't wait to try it!
I LOVE good recipes! Thanks!
Oh my goodness! I was searching for a recipe to make for a family in the ward tonight....and THIS is it!!!! Thank you for posting.
(and some for us. mmm.mmm. good.)
Okay, I'm making that tomorrow. It looks so good!
Ooooh! I need to try this.
Um..I just made it. Sooooo good! And Sam ate a ton. Now he is bouncing off the walls though...
hey Megan, I'm making it right now! Can't wait to taste it! Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks for this! I've been needing some new dinner ideas.
Post a Comment